A couple's first dance as man and wife is a cherished wedding tradition. While the first dance can help set a positive tone for the reception, it also can negatively impact the festivities if a poor song is chosen.
Couples may feel pressure to choose the perfect song. Yes, this is a song that the couple has selected to represent their love for each other, but it also should be one that will speak to the masses and can be thoroughly enjoyed by all.
Couples want to avoid a song that does not seem to fit with the festivities. For those couples who need a little musical inspiration, turn to many of the modern hits you're bound to hear on the radio which may help you to shine in that first dance.
• "A Thousand Years" by Christina Perri: "Twi-hard" fans enjoyed this romantic song during the pivotal wedding scene between Bella Swan and Edward Cullen in the popular "Twilight" movie "Breaking Dawn." Couples looking to recreate the magic of these star-crossed lovers can embrace Perri's delicate tone and tender lyrics.
• "All of Me" by John Legend: It's been hard to escape this popular love song by R&B artist John Legend. An ode Legend wrote to his wife, this song has quickly become a popular choice for a couple's first dance.
• "I Choose You" by Sara Bareilles: This peppy song by singer/songwriter Sara Bareilles is a good choice for couples who prefer being nontraditional. It's faster paced and less sentimental than many other wedding songs.
• "Better Together" by Jack Johnson: Johnson is known primarily for his soft rock and acoustic guitar work blended with catchy lyrics. Also an accomplished surfer, Johnson's work is enjoyed by many but may be especially prized by couples who want to their reception to be a laid back affair full of fun and whimsy.
• "I Won't Give Up" by Jason Mraz: Another acoustic ditty, this song has a country influence and talks about not giving up and staying in a relationship for the long haul.
• "I Don't Dance" by Lee Brice: Speaking of country influences, couples who want a little twang in their first dances can choose Brice's breakthrough hit. Romantic lyrics about spinning his partner around in circles despite not liking to dance illustrates what one partner will do for the other when in love.
Couples can make that first moment on the dance floor a special experience by choosing modern classics for their first dances.